POSITION: Operations Manager
SUPERVISOR: Managing Director
SUPERVISION: Design and Production Teams
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Operations Manager’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by contributing to the development and implementation of the organization’s strategies, policies, and practices. He/she will need to set up systems, carry out analysis, follow up and monitor to ensure operational results are obtained.
Project Management & Monitoring
Manage risk over the project lifecycle: Work with the management in ensuring the Company has strong Risk Management processes and procedures that safeguard the interest of the company and its Clients and that they are being adhered to.
Monitor and evaluate work scheduling and project creep, towards reducing project creep & managing delays.
Resource Allocation – Effective resource allocation on projects while planning for pitches, design proposals in conjunction with relevant functions (i.e. production, HR & Business Development).
Monitoring of staff and other consultants’ productivity on the projects to ensure objectives, scope, timelines, and budget agreed with Clients are achieved, by adhering to the approved project plan.
Monitoring and evaluation of projects and submitting timely and accurate project status reports to management.
In conjunction with Business Development, ensure accurate fees are computed for all consultancy proposals, agreements, RFP/RFI, and tenders.
In conjunction with finance function, utilize financial and project reports/statements to improve operational efficiency, manage costs (i.e. operate within budgets), and project profitability.
Project billing management – in conjunction with finance function, ensure timely project billing and collections and sub consultant’s fees disbursements.
Quality and Continuous Improvement
Ensure projects are run as per PIL standards in terms of the Corporate Brand, Process, Budget, and Profitability.
Undertake quarterly audits to assess projects delivered in terms of profitability, process, client management, and other key project requirements, make recommendations to management for decision making.
Apart from ensuring that different departments work together effectively, the Operations Manager also facilitates effective communication between upper management, production, and administrative departments as well as project-related external associates.
Good communication skills (both formal and interpersonal) are a pre-requisite to ensure the effective share of information between parties, encourage teamwork and help resolve disputes.
Ensure relevant sub-consultant agreements are executed prior to commencement of projects.
In liaison with the Project Captains, schedules feedback sessions with key client personnel to assess levels of customer satisfaction, with the aim of ensuring PIL consistently meets client service standards.
Facilitates and follows up the obtaining of approvals from requisite statutory bodies like Nairobi City County in a timely manner to ensure projects commence as scheduled.
Addresses multiple demands without losing focus or energy
Takes personal accountability for making things happen
Provides clear leadership to the Design and Project teams.
Motivates people to do the best they can
Empowers staff to take action and resolve issues
Works with team members to resolve conflict
Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of the IT infrastructure and implementation of IT solutions in conjunction with IT consultants.
KEY COMPETENCIES, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Key Competencies and Attributes
1. Planning and Organizing; Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently.
Key Actions: Prioritizes; Determines tasks and resources; schedules work; leverages resources to complete work efficiently; stays focused and prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with work completion.
2. Building a Successful Team; Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; facilitating the completion of team goals.
Key Actions: Develops direction by ensuring the purpose and importance of the team are clarified; develops structure to clarify roles and responsibilities of team members; facilitates goal accomplishment; involves others in team decisions and actions; informs others on team by sharing important and relevant information; models commitment by adhering to team expectations and guidelines.
3. Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities to determine whether action is needed; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or develops appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences.
Key Actions: Identifies issues, problems, and opportunities and determines whether action is needed; gathers information to better understand issues; interprets information; generates alternatives; chooses appropriate action; commits to action within a reasonable time; involves others in the decision-making process.
4. Aligning Performance for Success: Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
Key Actions: Sets performance goals with direct reports; establishes an approach to identify behaviors, knowledge, and skills required to achieve goals; creates a learning environment; collaboratively establishes a development plan; tracks performance; evaluates performance.
5. Continuous Improvement: Originates action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifies improvement opportunities, generates ideas, and implements solutions.
Key Actions: Identifies opportunities by reviewing processes to determine any gaps between current outputs and expected requirements; determines causes of gaps or key variances; targets improvement ideas and implements improvements.
6. Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
Key Actions: Analyzes economic, financial, market, and industry data to assess current business strategies or opportunities; integrates data to identify critical business issues; understands business functions; understands the industry; leverages one’s understanding to maximize results, limit risk and effectively drive the team or organization.
7. Driving for Results: Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; Tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
Key Actions: Targets opportunities by systematically evaluating business opportunities; establishes stretch goals for self and others; achieves goals; stays focused, measures progress, and evaluates results.
8. Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
Key Actions: Persists in efforts and works to achieve goals in spite of barriers or difficulties; Redirects focus when it becomes obvious a goal cannot be achieved.
9. Continuous Learning: Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Key Actions: Targets learning needs; seeks learning activities; maximizes learning; applies knowledge of skill; takes risks in learning by putting self in an unfamiliar or uncomfortable situation in order to learn.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or another business-related field.
Minimum of 6 years relevant work experience, 2 of which should have been in a supervisory/managerial position.
Prior experience in project management, in construction or facilities management industries.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified and interested candidates should email their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15th, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.